simple is beautiful
Too Fat For Fashion: Oscar Magic
2 ... 2 ...

Monday, February 26, 2007

Oscar Magic

I am a huge Oscar nerd so I absolutely had to mention the fashions on Hollywoods biggest night. Personally I felt that almost everyone looked absolutely stunning this year. There were no desperate for attention get ups (hey Cher) no dreadfully dull gowns (hey Jennifer Aniston) and no "what were the thinking" moments (hey again Cher) all in all starlets looked fresh, actors looked polished and I had no complaints. If only this could happen every year. I was also pleased to see a slew of young designer labels one doesn't often see on Oscar night, its about time we saw some Proenza Schouler and Marchesa amidst the sea of Armani.


Miss J's Best Dressed





Gwyneth Paltrow in Zac Posen, Reese Witherspoon in Nina Ricci, Rachel Weisz in Vera Wang, Emily Blunt in Calvin Klein, Rinko Kukuchi in Chanel Couture, Cate Blanchett in Armani Prive, Queen Latifah in Carmen Marc Valvo, Nicole Kidman in Balenciaga


All these girls look just so gorgeous I can't even pick a favorite dress of the evening. Emily, Cate and Rinko (who has been wearing amazing Chanel pieces all awards season) leave me breathless but I actually gasped when I saw Rachel Weisz (can we talk about that jeweled neckline) and Gwyneth. Queen Latifah shows us that horizontal stripes can be a major fashion do, Reese gets a special prize for wearing Theyskens and Nicole's Balenciaga makes me wonder why Nicholas Ghesquière never shows stunning gowns like this on the runway. Perhaps its performance anxiety but something tells me that maybe Nic just wants to keep all the goodies to herself.

Oscar Night Risk Takers



Jennifer Hudson in Oscar De La Renta, Eva Green in Givenchy, Kirsten Dunst in Chanel, Jennifer Lopez in Marchesa


I must admit I did not enjoy Jennifer Hudson's silver capelet at first. The words "hated it" immediately flashed into my mind and even now I'm still on the fence. Overall, the shape detracts from an otherwise appealing bronze gown but I'm glad she took a risk and did something different. Too often we see the same old thing on the red carpet and that blast of metallic python was fresh. I also really enjoyed Eva Green and Kirsten Dunst's gowns though the fashion police may disagree with me. Eva wearing a gown from the Givenchy couture collection, previously featured right here! What I love about this is how she takes such a dramatic couture piece but she really brings it to life. Its nice to see someone wearing something that avant garde especially to an event where fashion conformity is rewarded on some levels. Kirsten's dress was dissed everywhere from E!'s Fashion Police to US Weekly but I love it. Its so utterly coquettish and very Chanel. Not for everyone but I love it. And J.Lo's Marchesa was perfect, very few people could pull off that bling neckline but she is most certainly one of them.

Who did you love Oscar night? I know I'm forgetting about ten gorgeous gowns but I've already cheated my top 10 into a top 12!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LABEL