simple is beautiful
Too Fat For Fashion: Wonders Never Cease...
2 ... 2 ...

Saturday, October 6, 2007

Wonders Never Cease...

Never thought I'd see the day but Kaiser has rejected 3 models from the Chanel S/S show for being far too thin.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Models Raquel Zimmerman, Julia Dunstall and Vlada Roslyakova with Karl Lagerfeld at Chanel S/S 08

Karl Lagerfeld revealed in Paris he had taken a dramatic stand on the size zero issue by rejecting three models for his Chanel catwalk show yesterday (Friday) because they were 'too skinny'.

"It is the first time I have ever done something like this," he said.

"I have nothing against skinny girls. But these were terrible. They looked as if they had grown up in a Third World country with no food to eat.

"I sent them back to the agency. I did not think they should be modeling," said the designer.

He described the three models – who he did not identify – as being so thin as to look 'almost deformed' and agreed his stance may persuade other designers to follow suit.


I can't help but be curious as to which girls he sent packing (though I have my suspicions) but of course thats just my inner gossip fiend working over time. Kudos to Karl for actually doing that in his rude very Karl way. Granted, Karl is no friend to anyone over a size 4 but I give him credit for sending the girls home. This is one of the few times I've heard of a big designer sending girls back for being too thin and this is Karl "The girls are not anorexic but the clothes are" Lagerfeld, who has defended the size zero trend in the past. Good to see that he's changing his tune or at least altering it slightly. I really am curious as to which girls were sent back - usually its very known models (or up and coming) who get cast for Chanel and for someone to be so thin that Karl thinks they look bad they would have to be essentially transparent.

One small step I suppose. I hope more designers aren't afraid to send girls back to their agencies.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LABEL