simple is beautiful
Too Fat For Fashion: New York Fashion Week S/S 07
2 ... 2 ...

Saturday, September 16, 2006

New York Fashion Week S/S 07

New York Fashion Week has just ended and it was glorious. NYC week kicks off a string of Fashion Weeks around the world and showcases the best in new fashions. As a New Yorker I'm incredibly biased but I think NYC Fashion Week is the best save for Paris. You can't top Paris. Now you may be thinking "Boo! Fashion Week is just for bored socialites and rail thin models. Nothing shown on the runways is for me so why bother." But that couldn't be further from the truth. The clothes shown by designers during these weeks are what we'll be wearing come Spring. Whether they're the actual pieces from the runway or the inspired creations at our H&M's, Zaras, Targets or wherever else were shopping. True they are shown on the most lithe models on earth but fashion is for everyone who can appreciate the beauty of a fine stitch or an artful seam.

These are a few of my favorites from the past week.


1. Benhaz Sarafpour

Don't you just love that gold sequin dress! I want it so bad! I can see this looking amazing over a pair of leggings as well or tossed over skinny jeans. The pattern on the black and white dress is to die for and I love the drape on the white coat its a bit cape-esque. Such a great use of volume. That blue sheath is going to be a best seller, its just a classic shape with an incredible color and I think women are always going to gravitate towards that. This may just be Benhaz's best collection to date.



2. Zac Posen

This is all very Tom Ford for Gucci in my opinion (aren't we all just waiting for F/W 07 and Tom's return) but that's probably why I enjoyed it all so much. I love how that black dress hugs every single curve. So alluring, I can already see that being a hit on the red carpet. The suit is very YSL Le Smoking as well, always a good thing. I also think these designs flaunt curves and are sexy in a time when most of fashion is about volume and hiding the body. I could easily imagine any of these outfits on a voluptuous figure.



3. Temperley

I love Alice Temperley. Every piece in this collection is so laid back and breazy. Even the gown seems casual. I love the idea of a wide belt over a dress to create an hourglass shape. I also love the cropped leather jacket. The detailing is just gorgeous. I like that military influenced styles are heading into spring. And aren't those fedoras great. The whole hat/dress combination is very chic Parisian, reminds me of Lou Doillon. It just shows you how much accessories can alter an outfit.



4. Erin Fetherston

Another laid back collection of clothes you could wear in any situation. I love the shorts, they're so structured and the material is so nice you could wear them to work. I love the combination of trouser pants and a rather dainty gauze-like top. Its just modernizes things. And the white dress is just something out of a fairytale. I love that the jumper doesn't have a bib or an empire waist, fuller bodies can get lost in that. The sash around the mid section really defines the waist.



5. Derek Lam
Everything Derek Lam does is so effortless and practical. Nothing is overdone or contrived and that's what I love about his designs. That royal blue gown is classic Grecian goddess but he's done it in such a fresh and simply manner that it feels new. This is in part to the great styling on this show. Note how unadorned the models are. Keep it simple with the makeup and the jewelry and you come to the forefront. I also like the use of dark colors paired with white for spring. Spring clothes are always just a little too pink and frou frou for my tastes so this is a nice alternative.



6. Jenni Kayne
I was estatic when I heard Jenni Kayne would be showing in NY this year as opposed to L.A. and she did not disappoint. I love how these clothes flow over the body and look at the color! Yellow is a shade alot of people shy away from but when its done right its showstopping. I consider yellow (like red) to be a color that goes surprisingly well with alot of other colors. Try yellow with navy or grey and its amazing. I also love the blue dress with the maroon sash, another great color combination and look at how it flows, flowy dresses are such a trend this season.



7. J. Mendel

J. Mendel appeals to my inner socialite. These are party frocks for ladies who lunch and gowns for women who go to galas but in the best possible way. There's something so sophistocated about their entire oeuvre. The first grey dress is one my dream pieces, its so ethereal and perfect. I'm also in love with the ruffled cocktail dress on Lily Donaldson.



8. Y & Kei

You're never going to see an ugly Y & Kei dress. Period. Everything they do is feminine and alluring. I love the color scheme on this collection. You cannot go wrong with nuetrals but I love the subtle sheen on all of these pieces. Many of the looks were almost monochromatic but because of the texture of the fabrics they never became boring. Look at the sparkle on that black dress, it doesn't scream sequins but its got just enough to create interest. Its nice to see metallics carrying over from the last season. That silver cocktail dress is just to die for.



9. Marc Jacobs | VIDEO
Marc Jacobs is so in tune with the future its almost scary. He's not designing for this season anymore, he's designing for 10 seasons from now. There is something very futuristic about this collection but I see loads of influences a little bit of Yohji, a little bit of Chanel via Lagerfeld and some Rei Kawakubo for good measure. I love the metallics and their colors. Everything is so vivid. I'm also enjoying the softer approach to layering. I do feel these clothes will look totally different on hangers in the stores everything is styled so well its going to be interesting to see the pieces individually. Right now I'm in love with the ruffled Chanel-esque jacket, not to mention that metallic bomber jacket. Not for the faint of heart.



10. Peter Som
Peter Som makes the kind of clothes you want to wear all day every day. Look at the pattern on the second dress. Its perfect for all year, not just spring. I also like how they've used the darker shade of the pattern beneath the solid bell shaped coat. Great way to layer without making things look bulky. The blue gown is just heartstopping. I love how it moves and flows, I can see that looking astounding on anyone regardless of size. That yellow shirtdress could also be incredible with jeans. I like how his clothes can be dressed up or dressed down depending on who wears them.



Those were just a few of my favorites from the past week. What did you enjoy? Any designers whose work I've overlooked? Let me know! I look forward to the London / Paris / Milan shows.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LABEL