simple is beautiful
Too Fat For Fashion: TFFF Interview: Rachel Clark
2 ... 2 ...

Friday, January 4, 2008

TFFF Interview: Rachel Clark


As much as we've tried to cover all aspects of the skinny model issue its difficult to know exactly what goes on behind the scenes. What is it really like for the girls in the industry and how are they affected? Before the holidays I had the opportunity to ask a few questions to Rachel Clark, a young model on the rise and one of the current faces of Louis Vuitton about the industry, its pressures and what its like to be a model nowadays.

TFFF: When did you first become interested in modeling? How did you get your start?


RACHEL: I wasn't very interested before I started (I was a complete geek tomboy, not a girlie girl), I just went on a whim for it after a hurricane came through and I lost my apartment and my job. I walked into an agency and they signed me on the spot in Miami basically. I lived a few hours from my agency in Florida so I didn't really have much of an opportunity to work while I was there. When I was shipped to New York last February I signed with Supreme who instantly put me smack-dab in the middle of fashion week and I've been in New York ever since.

TFFF: What is the relationship between an agency and a model in terms of health?

RACHEL:
I know my agency maintains a very close and caring relationship with all their models. We depend on each other so it's always good to be aware and connected. From my experience, the agency is always on the ball and quick to schedule doctor's appointments for the girls' immediately as things arise because it is important for us to be in good health and to handle medical issues as soon as possible ensures our fluid schedules. I've been scheduled appointments on the spot for a wide range of things, from wisdom teeth to anxiety and even ear aches from frequent flying.

TFFF: Have you ever felt any personal pressure to lose weight from anyone within the industry?

RACHEL: Never. Not once. I have a crazy fast metabolism though and an inability to gain weight so I have to eat constantly to keep weight on which has landed me a notorious rep for eating obnoxious amounts of terrible food with ALL of my agencies. The drivers in foreign countries always gave me a hard time with my constant McDonalds and KFC runs in between shows. Sometimes they would even have it waiting for me when I'd come out from a show. Heck, the head of MDC (Models.com) even refers to me as mayo queen which is just too cute to let go.

TFFF: How do you keep a positive and healthy outlook?

RACHEL: Well I don't really have anything bringing it down in the first place -besides the occasional guy on the street who yells "eat a sandwich" Of course I reply "make it." You have to be able to take criticism and know how to let it roll off you. Understanding and having a lot of patience for negatively inflicting people while knowing and being comfortable with yourself and even being able to laugh at yourself now and then works wonders.



TFFF: Do you feel the media has blown issues regarding model weight out of proportion?

RACHEL: I'd sooner believe people are more influenced by the likes of well known celebrities blaring extreme weight loss across the gossip mags and tabloids if anything. I don't know a single 10 year old girl who knows any runway models but they sure as heck know the names of certain party happy "It" girls in Hollywood. Claiming that people are suffering the influences of such vague concepts as "all those skinny runway models" or fashion in general is really just another media scapegoat for those who can't accept responsibility for their own personal decisions they've allowed themselves to be victimized by.

From a medical standpoint, an eating disorder is considered a mental disorder in one form or another. In most cases they're coupled with addictive personalities, depression, anxiety, and even subtle hints of masochistic tendencies. For the imbalanced factors that aren't genetic, one could go to a psychiatrist who would have a field day trying to pin point which subconscious deep seeded issues provoke the behavior and mindset of a person who suffers from such disorders. I've yet to hear of a diagnosis that blamed a magazine for a disorder that requires such a cocktail of imbalances.

TFFF: Do you think regulations would be helpful or harmful for models?

RACHEL: Well it depends on the purpose of the regulations. The issue divides here for a lot of people. Some feel controversy and concern over the health of the models, others are concerned about the influence the image generates. If it's to get rid of the image of skinny models then it would be harmful to the employment status of all those skinny models, that's a given.

For health, of course there should be a healthy model regulation (who on earth wants sick models?) but health is not truly defined by how thin a girl looks so it would be difficult to enforce. It would be discrimination if a girl who appeared too thin was in perfect health and was barred from working. Statistically there will be a few women out of however so many who suffer from an eating disorder, I do not doubt that a few of those women happen to be models and the statistic of them being so could increase for those who are not well taken care of. The family and friends of the deceased models who were found to suffer from eating disorders claimed they knew of their next-to-nothing eating habits and yet did nothing to intervene or help. Common sense and awareness from their agencies or anyone who observed such behavior could have saved them, their families, and prevented the waves of controversy and finger pointing from staining what many of us would have as honest work.

TFFF: What shows are you looking forward to for F/W?

RACHEL Are you kidding? All I'm looking forward to right now is Christmas break!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LABEL