simple is beautiful
Too Fat For Fashion: Perfect 10: Baby, It's Cold Outside
2 ... 2 ...

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Perfect 10: Baby, It's Cold Outside

After a number of successful shopping trips, (including forcing the Gap to reduce a navy blue Italian Merino wool sweater to £20, thanks to a teeny tiny hole in the sleeve, that once darned was invisible!), wherein I returned home laden with deliciously wintery things, I got to thinking about my perfect capsule winter wardrobe.


The eagle-eyed among you will spot twelve items. But two are boots, so that's eleven. And my Perfect Ten goes up to eleven. So neener neener.

I realised that though the objects are often the same for all of us -- a fine-knit sweater, leather boots, a coat -- the execution is often very different. One woman's perfect winter coat is another woman's charity donation. You know how you can read a fashion spread on a particular accessory, say...hats, and it can really put you off if the stylist hasn't found at least one hat that you love? And then you get all grumpy about the lack of nice hats and kick the magazine across the room and vow to go hatless, because everything's so unfair?! (And when I say 'you' I mean 'me', obvie. I am a grumpy fashion diva.)

So rather than scouring my look-books to share a specific Perfect Ten with you, I've listed my desires with a brief explanation as to why I prefer them that way. These are all illustrated by my fair hand so you have some dorky visuals to amuse you; but really I'd like to hear what your Perfect Ten would be. Are you a leather or Wellington boot gal? Do you eschew gloves in favour of a muffler? Hate hats and love earwarmers? Wear the same coat for years on end but stock up annually on thermal undergarments?

Share your shopping secrets with fellow TFFF readers: perhaps you know the best place to get knee-high boots with room in the calf; or coats with extra room for boobs that still nip in at the waist. Here are my ten pieces that I can't live without each winter:

1. The Boot.

For me, they have to be leather. One pair of knee-highs: flat, black, riding-boots, often with a buckle detail at the reverse. It just happens to be the most stylish option, for me. I also like to have a pair of scruffy, scuffy, flat ankle boots. I prefer these to be somewhat deconstucted: no zip, no buckle, no fuss, no muss. Just some sort of slip on, battered boot, maybe with a leather tie. Must be flat, must be tan leather. To be worn with opaque tights, legwarmers and miniskirts.

2. The Tweed Skirt.

I have several winter skirts (including a leather miniskirt, so I may not be the most sensible judge of what constitutes winter wear...), but my favourite this season is a tweed, mid-calf pencil/fishtail skirt. Look for a lined version. On a cold day, with knee-high riding boots, this will keep you warm and make you look like a sexy schoolmarm. (Wear with a thin black alice band for extra oomph.) I'm loathe to ever say one body type looks better than another in any style; but in this case I'll make an exception. Pencil skirts just seem tailor made for plus bodies: the shape of the skirt and the roundness of bottoms and thighs are just MFEO.

3. The Hat.

I may have a drawful of woollen beanies and snuggly things, and a gorgeous tweed-and-gold Phillip Treacy number, but I always return to the old faithful: a flat cap. It keeps you warm and keeps the rain off, without fuzzing up your hair like a beanie would; plus there's something so chic about a cap, especially when worn with a blazer, spectacles and leather school satchel. I especially like versions in corduroy.

4. The Scarf.

So many of us press the same tattered old scarf into service year after year, often ruining a chic outfit with its tatty, weathered tassels. Scarves need love too! This season I'll be channelling Isadora Duncan (without the horrific fatal accident...) with a long, chunky-knit scarf. So versatile: wrap it round and round your neck to imitate the Giles catwalk look; double it and loop it through itself to channel Posh Redbrick University Student style; or simply knot it and let it trail to your toes (best paired with wide-leg trousers and a tank top).

5. The Jumper.

Deepest, inkiest, darkest navy blue. Cashmere or Italian Merino wool. Fine knit as you can get. V-neck. Simple. Fitted. Good cuffs. Throw as much money as you can spare at this item. Accept no substitutes. Chunky sweaters look good piled up on the shelves, but make anyone bigger than a B cup look like they have uni-boob. A fine-knit sweater is infinitely more practical: layer it over a white shirt, or wear on its own (with a camisole for added warmth), or top it with a cardigan, depending on how hot or cold you run.

6. The Slip.

Something about winter brings out the old-fashioned in me: the chilly weather makes me want to dress like a lady. Perhaps its simply to prevent hypothermia, but rarely a day goes by that I don't put on a slip underneath my outfit. It stops itchy wool jumpers scratching, gives you an extra layer of luxurious cosiness, and just makes you feel good. A silk camisole is a must-have, for me. I love them in blush pink or skin tones, rather than anything overtly underwear-y.

7. The Jean.

A good, warm, smart winter jean is a must have. In summer you can totally get away with a scruffy old pair with a hole in the bum, bobbles on the knee and frayed hems, teamed with rubber flip-flops and a vintage tee. But winter demands a little more structure. Wide-leg is not only on-trend, but hides a multitude of sins: I can wear socks and leg warmers under these babies without disrupting the line. They also look excellent paired with a jumper or a blouse (see below), or with a tank-top and a long traily scarf for an all-over 1970s look.

8. The Blouse.

Winter demands a luxe styling, and what's more luxe than a silk blouse? Something classic, with a twist: I have a plum silk blouse (a little like the picture would be if it wasn't rubbish) that I've had for several seasons now, and it never goes out of style. Choose something soft and feminine, in rich, plummy jewel tones, with a fun detail, like lace, or buttons, or a languid bow at the neck.

9. The Accessory.

Some would argue that the hat and the scarf are themselves accessories. I would put those people out on the street in English weather until they admitted that they are necessities, and bought me a cake. The brooch is the most versatile accessory for winter. Bangles get tangled in your sleeves, and earrings/necklaces get 'lost' in amongst hats and scarves and layers. You want something that 'finishes' the outfit without overdoing it. You can use a good brooch to pin your scarf, adorn your hat, add a finishing touch to the sweater, or jazz up a coat or blazer. Scour charity shops for cheapy costume jewellery versions.

10. The Coat.

Last winter I bought the yummiest coat: from Ghost, it was a sort of grey-lavender, bruised winter sky colour; deep v-neck; double-breasted jacket; in thick wool felt. I could just hug it. However it only suited trouser-based outfits: it looked great with a jean and neck scarf, but pair it with anything based around a dress or skirt? No. This year I'm going for a classic darkest navy, almost black-blue, long coat. I'm too short to go full-length, but around the knee area, I think. Gold buttons and gold brocade optional -- I may customise whatever I find myself.

So, go on: what will you be wearing this winter?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LABEL