simple is beautiful
Too Fat For Fashion: Crystal Renn & Hilary Rhoda in Vogue's Shape Issue
2 ... 2 ...

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Crystal Renn & Hilary Rhoda in Vogue's Shape Issue


Before I launch into my full fledged critique of Vogue's annual Shape Issue I want to share this lovely editorial featuring two of my favorite models: one straight sized one plus. Crystal Renn and Hilary Rhoda are both gorgeous girls, who bear something of a resemblance with their matching Brooke Shield's eyebrows and classic features. In this editorial they both look stunning and healthy. Yes Hilary is a thin girl but she lacks the emaciated and vacant look of some of her peers, I don't look at her arms and wince. Crystal is amazing as always and it would appear that Vogue has not airbrushed off any of her natural beauty look at how statuesques and lush she looks in that black and white number.

Lovely images aside (and you can always count on Steven Meisel for that) I do have my qualms. I'm not exactly fond of some of the little descriptions on the sides wherein Hilary's lithe frame is described in glowing terms while Crystal's ravishing curves are something that needs to be "controlled" but all in all I appreciate this editorial. Granted, the visual style is typical Vogue fair and the styling is a bit contrived but something has to be said about the small positive changes going on at the worlds most influential fashion magazine. I seeing pictures of a girl who isn't tiny in full on Perhaps its it doesn't seem significant as the Shape issue always has its token plus model but just last month we got our first plus sized cover girl so I can't help but feel a little optimistic about the future. I most certainly plan on writing a letter to the powers that be about this edit.


Special thanks to Faith_Akiyama for the scans!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LABEL