simple is beautiful
Too Fat For Fashion: Models Eating Food...Sort of
2 ... 2 ...

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Models Eating Food...Sort of

New York Magazine's weekly The New York Diet column is a guilty pleasure of mine - it asks notable New Yorkers to share what they've munched on for a week and then publishes every detail. Now while I know some will bristle at the very idea of a food diary I have to say the results are strangely fascinating. I would never guessed that bubbly society fixture Tinsley Mortimer loved to chow down on steak and creamed spinach or that Mims was addicted to habichuela con dulce. Like it or not what we eat is a part of who we are. From the dishes we grew up on to our favorite snacks it all adds up to being a small bit of our personalities and sometimes reading these little blurbs can give a glimpse into someone's world. I have to admit to wondering just what my steady stream of soy lattes or undying love of avocados says about me but I suppose thats a separate entry.

This week the featured New Yorker is Aussie model Catherine McNeil, whose pouty lips and soulful eyes have been featured in the latest Versace ads. While I have to admit that Catherine has a beautiful face I can't help but be a little weirded out by the entries in her food diary.

Catherine McNeil
Catherine McNeil and mixed greens.

Wednesday, November 7
 - I worked from 11 am to 7 p.m., shooting for Another magazine. I had a handful of nuts and some fruit for breakfast on the job. For lunch I had some vegetables and salad. When I got home, I was so tired that I passed out, so I didn’t eat dinner.

Thursday, November 8 - 
I had some scrambled eggs and fruit on the shoot. For lunch I had salad. I worked late and then went home and fell asleep, so I missed dinner again.


I don't like the sound of that at all. Maybe I'm missing something but that seems like a very low calorie intake. Especially for someone who is working all day. Don't get me wrong I am all for veggies and fruit and the sea bass at Barolo is great but there is something massively weird about her passing out two days in a row. Its a bit horrifying I have to say - just looking at what she's listed as is it seems as though she's not really eating all that much and while I know the whole "models don't eat a lot" thing isn't exactly news I feel like its still jarring. This is a teenager! She's still growing, she shouldn't be passing out. Period.

I much preferred model Missy Rayder's food diary from a few months back.

Missy RayderSunday, March 4 - I went to Bar 6. I don’t know what they do, but no one’s French fries can compare to theirs. They’re long, thin, and they’re really greasy and super-crispy. I always get the turkey burger there. It’s a great neighborhood place to have — it’s easy and they’re open really late if you get hungry at midnight.

For dinner I went to Do Hwa; it’s the sister restaurant of Dok Suni’s. I always get the obok salad — it has noodles in it and it’s spicy — and the bulgogi, the beef you wrap up in lettuce.


Yes I am highlighting the french fry bit. Honestly, how often do you hear a model professing her love for anything that actually contains carbs. Missy had her veggies too but she also had lobster rolls, omelette's, guacamole, tamales and even a trip to Cold Stone Creamery. Her choices seemed realistic and she seemed to ::gasp:: actually enjoy eating. At the very least when I read through her selections I actually get the feeling that food wasn't a distant memory for her.

What says you? Should we worry about McNeil based on a weeks worth of information or am I jumping the gun with this?

Special thanks to Lorena for pointing me in the direction of Ms. McNeil's entry!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LABEL