simple is beautiful
Too Fat For Fashion: There's Nu Limit
2 ... 2 ...

Saturday, April 28, 2007

There's Nu Limit

I interrupt your regularly scheduled TFFF for a couple of reasons. One is entirely to baste my ego, much like a turkey, and another is to give you some news of plus-sizes in the media, although not strictly fashion related.

First, let me brandish this turkey baster and fill it with the sweet liquid goodness of blowing my own trumpet, to badly mix a metaphor or two. I had my first fashion piece published last week in British newspaper The Independent, which means that when you read TFFF you can rest easy in the knowledge that we are a website run by professionals. (Ha! My professionalism barely amounts to getting to work on time.) Anyway, I have a few more commissions coming up that I shan't bore you with in future, but since the article was in the features Extra section - and thus didn't go online - I thought for this first one at least I would bore you with a scan.

(A bad scan, at that, since the paper is bigger than the scanners at my college, so the headline and picture is cut off. But my utterly brilliant words are there for all to see!)

Click the glowstick to see my article!



The second piece of news I wanted to share was from another British paper, The Guardian, who have commissioned Gossip's Beth Ditto as their newest columnist. Beth will appear fortnightly in G2 (the features-based supplement to the main paper) in their Women section, dispensing advice to those who ask for it.

Her opening column is here. I love this quote:

People still sometimes comment on the way I look, but at this stage they can't tell me anything I don't already know. I know I'm fat, I know I'm quirky, I know my teeth are yellow. I do actually have access to a mirror, so this hasn't got past me. When people say things like that, I just feel like saying - "Duh?" Or, "Wow, you're a genius, you should be a photographer. You have such impeccable vision."


Her first piece of advice relates to coming out to colleagues.

Nothing to do with fashion, but everything to do with fat politics, and having more plus-size women in the media is a definite (no pun intended) plus.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LABEL